Monday, May 02, 2011

1.38 to 3.04

1.38 was my GPA after my first semester of college. embarrassing I know. I have a lot of excuses, home sickness, broken heart, and a brother in a lot of trouble but mostly I was too stubborn. I didn't drop a 4 credit calculus class. I know I should have but I thought if I drop it it will throw my graduating off a whole year! HAHA. I was ill prepared for it and couldn't hack it. I also made a few C's that semester too. But Taking that class made me realize i didn't and probably couldn't be a mechanical engineer. I found Landscape managment and started taking classes I liked and I brought my GPA up a lot the next semester.

After a 3 year hiatus from school I went back. I was petrified I wouldn't be able to do it–not being in the habit of school for 3 years, I had 8 month old Aurora and 2 jobs–but I did well my first semester back.

I had a few goals when I came back to school:
1. stay out of debt
2. graduate
3. graduate with a 3.0

I am pleased to say I was able to complete them all. I had amazing professors who helped me find scholarships and who were very understanding when I would bring my child to class. I honestly don't think I could have done this at any other university.

3 comments:

Angela S said...

Wow that is awesome! I had a friend who had less than 1.0 gpa that first year. Its amazing how we grow over a few years isn't it? And getting out, getting the gpa up and no debt is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

d e e said...

I'm so proud of my sister! I remember you were so stubborn about being a mechanical engineer, we would say "the math is really hard Ki" and you would be pissed at us. But I get pissed when family doesn't believe in me either :) even when they are right. You picked a field you will enjoy more anyway :)And you have a lot of bragging rights going through this with a child, and having another one right before graduation!

Angie said...

I think you are amazing. Congrats! I'm really proud to know you.