Friday, November 21, 2008

Devotional?

Let me start by saying I understand that I attend a private college supplemented by the Church of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints. But what I don't understand is how my choice to attend BYU takes away my other choices. Some of you know BYU has forums or devotionals every Tuesday at 11am even during the spring and summer terms. Well I have no problem with that. I think it's great. I went to a lot of them during freshman year and I watch them occasionally on BYU TV. But it gets to be too much that BYU will shut everything down for an hour and a half. This may not seem like a lot of time once a week but it can be on a week when you have 4 tests in the testing center (while still having to attending 16 credit hours of class), Gerald has 14 hours and tests too and someone needs to be watching Aurora during all these times. That hour and a half could be one test down, having lunch, or picking up a prescription at the health center(which closes down too). 
 The book store doesn't close for Saturday conference but it closes for forums and devotionals? Are forums and devotionals more important? Classes aren't held on Tuesdays during this time as well... some people need to have all of their classes done early so they can get to work but that can't always happen. The thing that doesn't make sense is that if you are in line at the testing center *not owned by BYU* and you get in there with your test before 10:45 you get to take your test...but you're not watching devotional, you're taking a test and someone still has to work at the testing center and the people who don't make it in time sit in the testing center in line and study...still not watching devotional. So what is the point? If they want everyone to watch it, broadcast it on TVs around campus in lines, in the book store, at the health center. Just because everything shuts down doesn't mean I'm going to watch a forum that doesn't relate to my major or a devotional that is going to be on BYU TV five times in the next week. I'm going to go get some McDonalds, mm-kay?

5 comments:

Sam and Kat said...

i TOTALLY agree!! .... it makes tuesdays soo inconvenient. to be walking outside and say to yourself "man i really need to grab something from twilight zone real quick" then walk up and... OH WAIT its devotional. the twilight zone is closed. but i REALLY need to buy that thing now because i wont have time before my next class!!

yeah. i know what you mean. we should protest. i think the points you made are totally valid.

Angela S said...

I had huge issues with it at BYU-I. Its frustrating and annoying.

Alison said...

I agree completely. I understand that if the prophet or even one of the apostles comes for devotional to shut everything down, mainly because when that happens, teachers end classes early or don't expect you to even be in class before or after devotional time. I am just so glad that my new job doesn't care about devotionals...I can work right through it if I want. If it is someone important they will even let me clock in and they will order in lunch for everyone and we will all watch it in the conference room while we get stuff done on the computer. Oh, and I had no idea about the bookstore and conference. That's just not right.

Sarra said...

hmm, i don't know what to say about that. i get it, but i also think that you're preaching to the choir. i think you should take your concerns to where they will be heard - only then do you have an opportunity to change something! :) i'll back ya!

Emm said...

Hey Kileen!

Long time, I am going to link you up to our blog.

Sorry to hear about that, your a better woman than I, I didn't even apply to the "Y" :)